Week 5 – Digital Citizenship

Finding this weeks tasks very thought provoking. Cyberbullying and teaching our students the ethical use of the internet are hot topics and deserve close attention. The PLN offerings for this topic are proving very helpful and I will definitely be passing many interesting sites on.

I now have a much clearer picture of the scope and purpose of Creative Commons, thankyou Richard Byrne.  I also had no inkling about the Google Advanced Search Feature which allows you to restrict your search to material that is free to use or share.

NetSmartz looks promising and I think would hold student appeal.

After watching Digital Dossiers I couldn’t help but type my name into Google and see what came up – it really does make you think about how you use the internet and its implications.

After reading Pupils ‘must manage online risks’ it left me thinking that are we as schools doing enough? Tania Sheoka’s article further on also highlights that cybersafety may well get lost in an already overcrowded secondary school curriculum. As I type this I remember that I should credit Tania’s blog and immediately insert a link which her post on the The New Citation reminded me to do! I know the Library can play a really important role here as teaching staff already have so much to get through. My .2 fraction (two toddlers at home) at the moment restricts me somewhat but I know I have work to do here.

2 thoughts on “Week 5 – Digital Citizenship

1. It’s great that you are still able to keep in touch with the happenings of the web 2.0 world via your 0.2.

You are right that there is much work to do and I am pleased that you found some sites to pass on. I really think we must work together with parents on this as it affects both home and school life.

2. It’s great that you are still able to keep in touch with the happenings of the web 2.0 world via your 0.2.

You are right that there is much work to do in this area and I am pleased that you found some sites to pass on. I really think we must work together with parents on this as it affects both home and school life.